2012年3月18日星期日

The Jesus Film: A Christian historical “documentary”

Actually, I was planning to write something about “The passion of the Christ” this week, but when I started to watch it, something else in the optional film list just caught my eyes, “The Jesus Film”, the description under this film is: this is a two hour film according to the Gospel of Luke, and this is the most precise depiction of The Life of Jesus. The first thing I think about is that it could be more like a biography than “The passion of the Christ”, and then after watching it, I kind of get the feeling that I am watching a historical “documentary”!

The partially third person narration makes it more like a historical documentary rather than a film, and the documentary way created a sort of reliable tone for the film, makes me feel like there is a person telling me a story, a story with direct visual experience, direct sense of hearing, I have to say it is really a strong and powerful way to preach. Compare to some fictional movie, this is more like narration of the history during a certain period, it provides me a sense of reliability of what is presenting in the film.

After I searched “The Jesus Film” in Google, I found some other interesting thing, “The Jesus Film” literally have 475 different language versions, and even both audio and video. And it even also has a children version! The film is accessible to anyone in any age and any places! It is really more than just a film, the film becomes like a visual version of the Bible, but more than that, with the narrator, the scenes, the music, audiences are able to experience more, people from all over the world could listen and watch this preaching in their own language, it is a kind of globalization of the religion, and it is also can be seen as the power of popular culture. It helps to shape the Christianity in contemporary society, it provides more possibilities for evangelizing the world.

It also makes me think that popular culture such as film really is a kind of double-sided sword for Christianity, depends on how the directors interpret the content, and sometimes also depends on how audiences receive the information. Meanwhile the religious content could always be varied on the silver screen, varies representations leads to various impacts.

“Thank you for forgiving my sins and giving me eternal life, make me the kind of person you want me to be, as I become one of your followers, Amen.” – The Jesus Film

没有评论:

发表评论